This is a fun poem by Shel Silverstein found in the book Where the Sidewalk Ends. It’s great to read and talk about rhyming, recycling and composting. Kids can make their own garbage can and complete an activity sheet.
You will need:
- A clean, empty can
- Magazines & newspapers with pictures of food
- A piece of cardboard
- Scissors & glue
- A copy of the poem & activity sheet
- Before you begin read the poem. .
- Cover the can with paper and decorate or just leave it plain.
- Cut a piece of cardboard as tall as you want. Make sure it fits snug in the can.
- Cut out pictures of food and glue on the cardboard.
- Complete the activity sheet.